keep your furnace running efficiently
Many of the most common furnace and HVAC system issues that homeowners face can be prevented with a little TLC. Performing a few easy checks each month can save you hundreds, even thousands of dollars in repairs or a replacement. The right knowledge and just a few minutes of your time can keep your furnace running efficiently and avoid future breakdowns. Below we have listed 7 tips to help keep your family warm and your system running strong all season.
- By far, the best way to ensure a good performing furnace is to get a professional opinion. Having a qualified technician tune up your system gets you on the right track fast. Your furnace will be checked for operational issues and a series of safety checks will be performed. Not only will your furnace run smoothly, it will be clean when they leave, so you have a fresh slate, to begin with. And don’t forget to schedule your AC tune-up while they are there!
- Always check the air filter. A dirty air filter is the primary cause of breakdowns and furnace repairs. Clogged air filters cause serious performance and efficiency issues. Check them monthly. Put it in your calendar if you have to. It’s an inexpensive way to make sure that your system lasts as long as possible, and keeps the family warm during the winter months.
- CO Detectors. They are there to protect you. Let them do their job. Test them monthly along with your air filter and make sure they are operating properly. Carbon Monoxide leaks are life-threatening issues. Install fresh batteries early this year and test monthly.
- Clean out the air registers. Toys, furniture, magazines, you name it, these will make your furnace work overtime to heat the house evenly and effectively. Make sure all your floor registers are free from obstruction.
- Check your pilot light in the older furnaces. The flame should be a bright blue color. If the color is different, call Advanced Air Solutions immediately so we can investigate the problem.
- Just like the indoor registers, your outdoor exhaust pipes will cause safety issues, inefficient air flow, and uneven heating if blocked. High-efficiency gas furnaces have these pipes outside, usually near the ground.
- We know, basements can get disorderly. Try to keep the area around the system as clear and clutter free as possible though. It will make your DIY maintenance job a lot easier, and your service technician will have easier access.
- If you have any questions about these furnace maintenance tips, or if you’d like a heating system serviced or installed in your home, contact Advanced Air Solutions, your Akron / Canton Area heating and cooling contractor.
Read Trane’s HVAC Maintenance Checklist for more information
Get In Touch
Ask us about financing and our very popular Service Plan!
Service PlanAdvanced Air Solutions Annual Maintenance Contract
- Annual furnace tune-up
- Annual AC tune-up
- NO diagnostic fees
- FREE diagnostic calls
- 10% off repairs
- 10% off equipment replacements
- 10% off accessories
- (Oil Heat is an additional $80)